Bad Kitty Book Display Contest
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS CONTEST. OPEN ONLY TO FULL-TIME RETAIL BOOK STORE EMPLOYEES WHO ARE LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE FIFTY (50) UNITED STATES AND D.C. AND ARE AGE 18 OR OLDER AND OF THE AGE OF MAJORITY IN THE JURISDICTION WHERE THEY RESIDE. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. U.S. LAW GOVERNS THIS CONTEST.
- ELIGIBILITY: Bad Kitty Book Display Contest (the “Contest”) is open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are full-time (i.e. typically scheduled to work 35 or more hours per week) employees of a retail book store who work at a physical retail book store location in one of the fifty United States or the District of Columbia who are eighteen (18) years of age or older and of the age of majority in the jurisdiction in which they reside as of the time of entry. Employees of Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group (“Sponsor”) and its parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates and advertising, promotion and Internet agencies, and members of the immediate family or household of any such employee, are not eligible. Void where prohibited by law. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of any entrant, the entry will be deemed made by the authorized account holder of the email account provided by the entrant in connection with Contest entry. Eligibility determinations will be made by Sponsor in its discretion.
- HOW TO ENTER: The entry period for the Contest begins at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time (ET) on May 1, 2015 and continues through 11:59 p.m. ET on May 31, 2015 (the “Entry Period”). Each entrant must obtain the permission of the entrant’s employer for the entrant’s creation and display in the book store of a Display (as defined below) and the entrant’s submission of an entry in the Contest. Do not submit an entry unless you have obtained permission from your employer. To enter, during the Entry Period, create a fun, engaging window, in-store table-top or other merchandising display in the book store in which you are employed using one or more copies of the print edition of the book “Bad Kitty: Puppy’s Big Day” by Nick Bruel (the “Display”). The Display must convey a Bad Kitty theme. The Display must comply with all of the guidelines set forth in Section 3. The Display must be publicly displayed in the book store in which you are employed for at least seven (7) days between May 1, 2015 and May 31, 2015 (the “Display Period”). Then, during the Entry Period, send an email to Kathryn.Little@macmillan.com that contains your full name, residence address and telephone number, the name and address of the book store in which you are employed, the name of your manager or supervisor and the telephone number of the manager or supervisor. You must also attach to the email a minimum of one (1) and a maximum of four (4) color photographs of your Display (each a “Photograph”). Each Photograph must be in .JPEG, .GIF or .PNG file format. Emails that are sent to any address other than Kathryn.Little@macmillan.com, do not contain all of the required information or are not accompanied by at least one Photograph will not constitute complete entries. Sponsor has the right to require verification in a form satisfactory to Sponsor that an entrant’s Display was on public display in the entrant’s book store for at least seven (7) days during the Display Period (which may include, without limitation, verification by the entrant’s manager or supervisor). There is a limit of one entry per person. Each Display may be used to enter the Contest only once. Entry times will be determined using Sponsor’s computer, which will be the official clock for the Contest. Normal time rates, if any, charged by Internet service provider will apply. No purchase is necessary.
- DISPLAY AND PHOTOGRAPH GUIDELINES: All Displays and Photographs submitted in the Contest (each, collectively, an “Entry”) must comply with the following guidelines: (a) the Entry must be original, must have been created by the entrant and must not previously have been published or won any award; (b) the Entry must not disparage, defame or criticize Sponsor or any product or service of Sponsor; (c) the Entry must not contain any material that would violate or infringe upon the rights of any third party, including without limitation copyrights, trademarks or rights of privacy or publicity, or that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to any applicable laws or regulations, or whose use by the Sponsor Parties (as defined in Section 6) requires a license or permission from any third party; and (d) the Entry and any accompanying text posted by the entrant must not contain any material that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, deems unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, deceptive, fraudulent, invasive of another's privacy, tortious, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, offensive, profane, contains or depicts nudity or depicts sexual activity, promotes bigotry, discrimination or violence, or is otherwise inappropriate for public viewing. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any Entry that Sponsor determines does not comply with these guidelines. By submitting an Entry, each entrant certifies that the Entry complies fully with the foregoing guidelines.
- Selection and notification of finalists: Following the conclusion of the Entry Period, judges designated by Sponsor (the “Judges”) will judge each Entry based on the following criteria (the “Selection Criteria”): originality (25%); creativity (25%); relevance to Contest theme (25%); and attractiveness (25%). The Entry that receives the highest rating by the Judges based on the Selection Criteria will be the potential Grand Prize winner and the next two highest-scoring Entries will be the potential Runners-Up, subject to verification. Any tie will be broken based on the tied entrants’ “attractiveness” scores. The odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received and the quality of the entries. The potential winners will be notified by email and/or telephone, as determined by Sponsor, on or about June 15, 2015. If a potential winner does not respond and provide to Sponsor any requested contact information within three (3) days of the initial notification attempt, he or she may be disqualified and the prize awarded to an alternate winner. The potential winners are subject to verification and will be required to complete and return to Sponsor an Affidavit of Eligibility/Release of Liability, and, if legally permissible, a Publicity Release, within three (3) daysf attempted delivery of same. If any attempted notification is returned as undeliverable, or if a potential winner fails to complete and return any required affidavit or release within the specified time period, the potential winner may be disqualified and an alternate potential winner selected. The potential winners may be required, in Sponsor’s discretion, to provide confirmation that the award of the prize to the potential winner would not conflict with or violate any policy or requirement of the potential winner’s employer. If Sponsor determines that the award of a prize to the potential winner would or may conflict with or violate any such policy or requirement, Sponsor has the right in its discretion to disqualify the potential winner and to award the prize to an alternate winner.
- PRIZES: Grand Prize: One (1) Grand Prize will be offered. The Grand Prize is a visit by Nick Bruel and the Bad Kitty Costume and a $500 American Express Gift Card to host a Bad Kitty Party to the book store in which the winner is employed. The dates, times and locations of the visits and all other details relating to the visits will be determined by Sponsor in its discretion. The approximate retail value (“ARV”) of the Grand Prize is $2,250. Runner-Up Prizes: Two (2) Runner-Up Prizes will be offered. Each of the Runner-Up Prize consists of five (5) hardcover copies of “Bad Kitty Poor Puppy” signed by Nick Bruel. The ARV of each Runner-Up Prize is $69.95. General Prize Terms and Conditions: The aggregate ARV of all prizes is $2319.95. All federal, state, local taxes on the value of the prize, if applicable, are the responsibility of the winner. An IRS form 1099 will be issued if required by law. All prize details will be determined by Sponsor in its discretion. Each prize will be awarded if properly claimed. No substitution, cash redemption or transfer of the right to receive any prize is permitted, except in the discretion of Sponsor, which reserves the right to substitute a prize or prize component of equal or greater value. Each prize consists only of the items expressly specified in these Official Rules. All expenses or costs associated with the acceptance or use of any prize or any component thereof that are not expressly specified in these Official Rules as being part of the prize are the responsibility of the winner.
- GRANT OF RIGHTS: By entering the Contest, each entrant irrevocably grants permission to Sponsor and its parent companies, subsidiaries and affiliates and each of their agent and licensees and those each of them may designate from time to time (all of the foregoing, the “Sponsor Parties”) to use and authorize the use of the entrant’s name, likeness, voice and biographical information, in perpetuity, throughout the world, in all media and formats whether now or later known or developed, for commercial purposes (including, without limitation, advertising and promotion), without further compensation, unless prohibited by law. In addition, except where prohibited by law, by entering the Contest and submitting an Entry, each entrant grants to the Sponsor Parties, in perpetuity, a non-exclusive license to and to authorize others to publish, display, reproduce, modify, edit or otherwise use his/her Entry and each component thereof (including without limitation excerpting or amending the Entry and/or creating derivative works based on the Entry or any component thereof), in whole or in part, for advertising or promoting the Contest or for any other purpose (including, without limitation, posting the Entry online), worldwide, in all media and formats whether now or later known or developed, without further notice, consideration, permission or compensation.
- RELEASE AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK: By entering, each entrant, on behalf of the entrant and his or her heirs, personal representatives, guardians and assigns, voluntarily and knowingly completely and forever releases, waives and discharges each of the Sponsor Parties and each of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates and successors, and the directors, officers, employees and assigns of each of the foregoing, and all people and entities involved in the development or execution of the Contest (all of the foregoing, the “Released Parties”) from and against any and every kind of claim, demand, injury, costs, attorney fees, right, liability or cause of action or other liabilities of whatever kind or nature, known or unknown, absolute or contingent, and whether or not fixed, that the entrant ever had, now has or might in the future have arising in any way from or related to this Contest, including without limitation any claims, demands, injuries, costs, attorney fees, rights, liabilities or causes of action arising in any way from or relating to the entrant’s participation in the Contest, the acceptance or use of any prize, the use by any of the Sponsor Parties of any Entry or any other exercise by any of the Sponsor Parties of the rights granted herein (including, but not limited to, any use of an entrant’s name, likeness, voice and/or biographical information). The foregoing release includes, without limitation, a release of any and all liabilities, claims, actions, suits, proceedings or demands based upon or alleging any invasion of privacy, violation of right of publicity or infringement of any intellectual property or other personal or proprietary rights, or any personal injury or death to an entrant or any other person or any property damage or loss. Entrants assume all liability for and risk of any injury or damage caused, or claimed to be caused, by participation in this Contest or the acceptance or use of any prize or travel to or participation in any prize-related activity.
- GENERAL CONDITIONS: The Released Parties are not responsible for late, lost, delayed, illegible, damaged, corrupted or incomplete entries or e-mails, incorrect or inaccurate capture of, damage to, or loss of entries, Entries or entry information, any delay or interruption in the launch, accessibility or operation of any website or social media platform or any entry or voting period or any other human or technical errors of any kind relating to the submission, collection, storage or processing of entries or the administration of the Contest. The Released Parties are not responsible for undeliverable e-mails resulting from any form of active or passive e-mail filtering by a user's Internet service provider and/or e-mail client or for insufficient space in user's e-mail account to receive e-mail. The Released Parties are not responsible for any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participation in or accessing or downloading information in connection with this promotion. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAW. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify or prohibit from participating in the Contest any individual who, in Sponsor’s discretion, Sponsor determines or believes (a) has tampered with the entry process or has undermined the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception or other unfair playing practices, or (b) has engaged in conduct that annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other entrant or any representative of Sponsor, or (c) has attempted or intends to attempt any of the foregoing. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, modify or suspend this Contest should a virus, bug, technical problem, entrant fraud or misconduct, or other causes beyond the control of the Sponsor corrupt the administration, integrity, security or proper operation of the Contest or for any other reason in Sponsor’s discretion. In the event of termination of the Contest, a notice will be posted online and a winner will be selected from among all eligible entries received prior to the time of termination. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Entries will not be verified or returned. By participating in this promotion, entrants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects. The Released Parties are not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest or in the announcement of the prize. In no event will more than the stated number of prizes be awarded. By entering the Contest, entrants agree that (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest, but in no event attorneys' fees; and (c) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, special, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses. Each entrant’s sole and exclusive remedy with respect to any and all claims, causes of action and/or lawsuits relating to or arising out of the Contest shall be an action at law for the recovery of monetary damages only, and in no event shall any of the rights acquired or to be acquired by any of the Released Parties hereunder be affected or impaired. Each entrant agrees that in no event shall the entrant have the right to enjoin or otherwise interfere with the exercise by any of the Sponsor Parties of any of their rights hereunder or to terminate or rescind any of the rights granted herein. Non-compliance with these Official Rules may result in disqualification. Any legal proceedings arising out of this Contest or relating to these Official Rules shall be instituted only in the federal or state courts located in New York County in the State of New York, and the parties consent to jurisdiction therein with respect to any legal proceedings or disputes of whatever nature arising under or relating to these rules.
- WINNERS’ NAMES: For the names of the winners, available after June 15, 2015, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, 175 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10010, Attn: Bad Kitty 10th Anniversary Book Display Contest Winners.
- Sponsor: Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, 175 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10010.
No purchase necessary. Must enter by 11:59 p.m. ET on 5/31/15. Open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are full-time book store employees and are eighteen (18) years of age or older and of the age of majority in the jurisdiction in which they reside as of the time of entry. Visit mackidsbooks.com for complete details and Official Rules. Void where prohibited. The contest is sponsored by Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, 175 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10010.